I had grown some gourds in my garden a few years ago intending for the kids to make birdhouses... well as with too many of my project ideas life got in the way and 2 years later I decided to dig them out of the corner of the garage and play with them myself!
This is just one gourd-- top and bottom. The bigger section is the bottom... First I cut the gourd in half with a hack saw and dumped out the insides (yeah more seeds). Then I sanded it just a bit (not too much as I LOVE the look of all that mold stain and natural skin blemishes). Next I pulled out a pencil and drew a bird and some flowers to test out my skills on. I have a Black & Decker hand drill that has several sanding bits and it worked pretty well-- it's not done or stained or anything yet... still lots to do!.

I was just going to pitch this top part but while checking online to see what kinds of varnishes I should use I came across a page that suggested you use the tops for bud vases and here's the result! It took me about 45 min total to do this piece-- all I did was clean, sand, stain, spray on some varnish, & then decorate with some beads I had on hand!! Its about 5x3 inches.

Guess who's planting more gourds this year!!??!!!!
:)











4 comments:
Very cool and I'm very impressed.
Diane, I am glad you enjoyed your kid free time to have some R&R. That is really cool and creative!
The pictures really don't do them justice - they were AMAZING! The colors were so rich and earthy. Great job!
That looks super cool Diane. I wish I was that talented. Good job!!
Post a Comment