Thursday, January 8, 2009

A little too much drama


I was looking for the picture of the two characters tied to a log...

Pacha
: Uh-oh.
Kuzco: Don't tell me. We're about to go over a huge waterfall.
Pacha: Yep.
Kuzco: Sharp rocks at the bottom?
Pacha: Most likely.
Kuzco: Bring it on.

Tabi's had a rotten appetite ever since her surgery --which was also the same time she started a new medication. We suspected she might be loosing weight but continued to give her every excuse in the book for her poor appetite... surgery, uncomfortable cast, upset stomach, end of growth spurt diet changes(she's grown 3 in. since May), head cold, constipation, brace troubles... you name it. Anyways it's just been getting worse & she's been taking 45+ minutes for one 8 oz bottle lately so we finally took her in, still hoping it might be something simple like an ear-infection, but no such luck, she's back on a feeding tube.

After 5 hours away from home getting that taken care of I tried to leave the hospital only to get stuck in a faulty handicapped lift-- oh that was fun. This was one of the platforms with walls that only raise or lower you one level. We went down about 6-8 inches then stopped. It simply wouldn't go further down, so I open the door and left Tabi to go let the lady at the information desk know we needed help. When I returned the door had locked and I couldn't get back in to my baby. A few minutes later some assistance arrived & in the end it was me who figured out how to get Tabi out-- duh, push the UP button.

After that little joy we went out in the country to pick up the older 4 kids who'd been playing with baby kittens all day. While leaving we noticed their dog had got out and was running down the Hwy so we drove a few blocks, caught up with and coaxed him back into the car and then started to make our U-turn. The problem was that my monster van was now in the ditch.

I'm not an idiot, honest! There were tire tracks in the snow so even though I knew it wasn't a driveway it looked safe to drive on. Unfortunatly it wasn't even gravel, in 40 + degree weather it was just slush covered mud. Once I tried to back out the tires slid on the slope and one back wheel ended up hanging over an irrigation ditch. My friends house was too far away for her to see us & Steven wasn't at his desk. So, like anyone else raised in Minnesota, and before opening the huge bags of salt in the back, I started gutting the car of anything that might give us some traction and began shoving all kinds of stuff underneath the wheels. This resulted in lot of muddy slushy carpet and a 15 passenger van that remained stuck. Luckily a nice man, his wife, and their very big 4 wheel drive truck showed up and towed us out. Anyways we saved the dog, had a good laugh with our friends, and eventually got home in time to enjoy two dinners which were brought to us by wonderful friends! What we didn't get was a photograph!

Today we spent another 3 hours at the hospital-- Tabi's been throwing up, seems that her feeding tube was a bit too long! Oh, and the home care nurses can't come set up the feeding pump till tomorrow. I don't have IV bags, a stand or any of the other equipment I need, this means it's still taking about 45 min to give her one feeding as I have to hold a 2oz syringe next to her cheek and wait for gravity to drip her food down the open topped tube! They would have come this AM but as she was throwing up they decided to wait & by the time we got home they were too short staffed to fit us in. Oh well.

Needless to say I'm ready for things to quiet down a bit.

:)

4 comments:

ManicMandee said...

Bless your heart! Prayers going your way from my heart.

Emma said...

I know you guys are "Lord of the Rings" fans. Well I believe in the "Lothlorian Effect." In the story they run and run from evil, then the all arrive in Lothlorian and relax for a breather. You have to be due for your Rivendale or Lothlorian time. Hang in there until it comes.

Sarah McBride said...

bring it on...

just take it one day at a time. You'll get through it.

Elizabeth said...

Oh, Diane!
When I have these kind of moments, days, weeks, whatever...I look up to heaven and say, "Seriously!" No sage advice here--what an angel she must be though to be so lucky to be in your family (muddy van and all:)