


At 9:30 this AM Tabi's cast came off!
She was terrified and screamed and cried for an hour and a half as they sawed off the cast, cut away the wrappings, and fit her into a too-small brace (I go back tomorrow to pick up extension straps). She has to wear this brace 24/7 except for baths. After we got home she ate a little, whimpered a lot, then fell asleep in my arms just before the lady showed up to bathe her. She didn't appreciate being awakened, but her bath was badly needed and (once in the water) it was at least partly enjoyed. Her skin is all wrinkly and she's lost weight. After the bath I gave her some Valium and she and I both took much needed naps!
The best news is that IT WORKED!! The surgery worked! She had a CAT scan on Monday and her hip looks perfect! She had only had x-rays previous to this week and so we only knew that it LOOKED like it worked (2D vs 3D-- makes a bit of difference huh)! The not-so-great news is that I finally got a time estimate on this brace and she'll be in it for at least 2 years and possibly forever. Apparently keeping her hip in socket is essential to keeping her spine straight (or at least mostly straight--no promises). She'll be comfortable which is good, but the metal bars and back plate on that brace dig into you when holding her-ouch! Still, diapering is not as bad but I'm going to have to be creative and make her some pants that will let me diaper w/o removing the brace and get them on w/o hurting her or risking dislocation. If anyone has any experience in this area I'd love to chat!
I've included a photo of the nearly 3 inch scar that caused so much drama a few weeks ago. It looks worse in person but lots better now that the scab's been washed off. I was comforting a terrified Tabi or I'd have taken a picture of the removed cast.
Thank you all again and again for your patience, service, & prayers!
:)











3 comments:
CONGRATULATIONS! I'm so glad to see her Halloween Mummy costume is gone. That brace sounds uncomfortable for you in terms of holding her and caring for her- how does she like it so far? Do they think she will get used to it?
Hurrah for Tabi! I'm so glad to hear that she's free. :)
Good luck on the pants. I can't wait to see what you come up with.
I am so glad for you whole family. I know you have been very home bound...so I hope you can become a little more normal now. I hope she is happier too.
Post a Comment