
For those of you who didn't know Tabi is having hip surgery this Thursday--sorry, it's not always easy to talk about her troubles-- or even type them more than about 3 times. Tabitha is severely disabled due to an accidental drug overdose in Haiti while we were waiting to adopt her. We met her and she was fine, 2 months later we brought her home still beautiful, but badly broken. Contrary to what we were originally told, we now know she will not recover. Either Tabi's brain will simply shut down one night or her body will slowly fail and then she will leave us--this could be a matter of days or decades.
We do NOT regret our adoption at all! (yes I've had people ask that!) Our baby girl is a treasure and we love her VERY much! Developmentally she is about 3 months old and she is happy with that--so, we will be too. Because of her severe neurological injury, her muscles & joints are stiff and as such her left hip was slowly pulled out of socket. This surgery will cut, shred, and paralyze several muscles in an attempt to put it back in place and we are praying that it will work as the other surgery option involves cutting her pelvic bone & femur. If the surgery works she will be in a spica cast until early November (~6 weeks) & then wear a brace for several more weeks. She is now on medication to decrease her spasticity. We tried this medication once before but she stopped responding to everything and quite simply we weren't up to that-- a long dramatic story I refuse to rehearse-- just look up baclofen if your curious & pray she won't need the pump!
Please do not ask me why we are bothering to fix her leg as she will never walk-- it is an offensive question which I am tired of answering! Yes, she has broken little body but we are determined to do everything we can to make her life a comfortable and happy one!
Hope you are all having a good week,
Diane











2 comments:
Can I first say that you are a saint? Well, I said it even without your permission. You and Steve are good, good people. Tabi will be in our prayers.
And BTW I can't believe the nerve of some people! My goodness.
Good luck. We will keep you all in our prayers. I hope she will be more comfortable soon...
Post a Comment