Sunday, May 3, 2009

Wormy Education


Today we found a giant worm!! This creepy crawler is at least 10 inches long (we couldn't get him to straighten out all the way)!! The kids got all excited, we pulled out our science notebooks and drew a diagram of it, we measured it, and then we looked on the internet and found they can be as long as 10 ft (in Australia and even Oregon)!!


WOW!! Did you know Giant Earthworms are endangered? How about that they have little hairs to help move, are both male and female and if no breeding partner is around they make clones, or how about the rumor about getting chopped it two and then growing new body sections is actually true? The big ones even have voices... their gurgles can be heard above ground!!! Who knew!?!

We learned a lot of cool stuff today and best of all, this was all lead by the enthusiasm the kids still have for learning!

THIS is why we Homeschool!! I love the natural curiosity of children... how everything is exciting and interesting and worth looking into! I truly think it's sad how so many children loose that enthusiasm after years of sitting at a desk being told what to learn. Learning is PLAY to children (and to me) and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE watching (and joining in)their learning adventures like this!!

:) Ah, life is good!!

5 comments:

ManicMandee said...

I applaud you 100% for homeschooling. I think it's great!

I would have skipped the yucky worm lesson myself though. You are a brave woman with a strong stomach.

Schuyler said...

That's pretty cool, but a little gross at the same time. I probably would have ran away from the worm and locked the kids in the house. I'm terrified of any creepy crawlies. That's great! And I loved the picture movie. You have some cute kids:)

Elizabeth said...

Wow-that is cool. Hope you didn't cook it for dinner:)

Sally said...

I agree with the first comment. I don't think I could have stomached it. I've said it before and I'll say it again. I have NO idea how you do it all. You have boundless energy, woman!

Sarah McBride said...

now that is something you dont see every day.
yo should read "How to eat fried worms" with your kids and see what they think!!