Sunday, April 5, 2009

It's Pinewood derby time again! + International Year of Astronomy...

First, a quick look at the cars of the past...

2007 "Green Lightening"
coming in 4th place overall!
2008 "Car 55"
coming in 2nd over all!
And now, in 2009
"The Wii-Mobile"
as yet unchallenged but definitely cool!

Had to share-- this car is just TOO FUN!!!!

Oh, and in honor of Galileo's first use of the telescope 400 years ago and in celebration of this the International Year of Astronomy, we joined the local Astronomer's Club this weekend to view Saturn, it's rings and 2 of it's moons, Betelgeuse, Sirius, star clusters, Orion's belt & nebula, the moon (and that really cool crater w/ 2 craters inside it who's name escapes me), Aldebaran, several constellations, and just when we thought it couldn't get any cooler-- they had special filters on yesterday so we could see the sun and a big ball of fire coming off it! WOW!!



:) Hope all is well in your neck of the woods!

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

That is really cool--the only word I understood was constellation, but it looks like you saw alot! What a great teacher you are Diane! If I homeschooled all my kids would learn was how to find the remote for mommy:)

Diane said...

I my defense-- I took as many astronomy classes in college as I could (3, after that I needed too much math!) I LOVE the cosmos!
As for teaching the kids to find the remote, well, no, I haven't actually mastered that lesson yet... maybe next year! ;)

Lindsay Mama to Nine said...

Diane you amaze me!!!